Tips To Get Rid Of Flies Around Your Denver Property
Flies are very rarely a welcome addition to any homeowner’s life. These insects are an unsanitary nuisance, and it can also be extremely difficult to get rid of flies without the assistance of Denver pest control professionals. Continue reading to learn more about Denver flies and how you can keep them out of your home.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Flies Are In My House?
The most common types of flies that invade homes in Denver are fruit flies, house flies, cluster flies, and gnats.
Fruit flies are typically brown or tan and rarely larger than 1/8 inch in length. They usually have red eyes and a tan thorax with a black and gray abdomen. Fruit flies are attracted to rotting fruits, as per the name, as well as dark and damp areas such as sink drains, pipes, and trash bins.
House flies are often gray in appearance and display four black stripes on their thorax. They typically don’t grow longer than 1/4 inch and have slightly hairy bodies. House flies are typically only active during the daytime, gathering on floors, walls, and ceilings when indoors or around plants or garbage cans outside.
Cluster flies look similar to house flies, but they are somewhat larger. If you look closely, they can also be distinguished by yellowish hairs on the thorax. Cluster flies often overwinter in attics and wall voids.
Gnats are the tiniest of these flies, typically only 1/16 to 1/8 inch in length. They typically congregate in groups and will infest potting soil and organic matter.
All The Ways Flies In The House Can Be Dangerous
Flies in Denver can be very dangerous to the health of you and your family during an infestation. House flies and fruit flies are carriers of over 100 dangerous pathogens, including salmonellosis, typhoid, and tuberculosis. They spread these pathogens and bacteria across surfaces that are regularly trafficked by food, such as countertops and sinks. They may also spread these to stored food if they have access to it, such as flour or sugar.
Cluster flies and gnats are both considered nuisance pests. Cluster flies overwinter in homes but do not cause damage or spread any significant diseases to humans. Gnats may infest your house plants, and in large numbers, their larvae can cause damage to the roots of plants.
Six Simple Yet Effective Tips To Keep Flies Out Of Your Home
Flies are more than a nuisance; they can be hazardous to your health and shouldn’t be given easy access to your home. Here are a few helpful tips to keep flies away from your Denver home.
- Regularly dispose of trash and use sealed garbage cans. Most flies are attracted to decaying food, and most trash contains at least some decaying food.
- Promptly clean up any pet waste to prevent potential fly breeding sites from developing. Fecal matter is filled with food waste that flies dine on and provides them with warm environments for their eggs.
- Secure all exterior windows and doors with mesh screening. Flies can’t create entrances like some other pests, so the simplest way to keep them out is to have a screen on your doors and windows.
- Repair any damaged weather stripping or mesh screens, and fix any holes or cracks in exterior walls. Many pests use damage to your home to hide in and enter your home.
- Clean drain lines, garbage disposals, and any location where food waste accumulates. This will reduce the number of both house flies and fruit flies in your house.
- Store produce in air-tight containers or refrigerators and inspect any fruit or vegetables that come into your home for eggs or larvae.
While flies can be prevented, a full infestation can be difficult to remove. There’s only one way to guarantee you’ll get rid of flies in your house.
How Do I Get Rid OF Flies In My Home For Good?
The most surefire way to get rid of and prevent flies from infesting your home again is to contact a pest control specialist. At Beeline Pest Control, we have the fly control solutions to fully eliminate flies from your Denver home. Call today to get a free quote and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Denver.