Colorado Springs Total Cockroach Prevention Guide
Cockroaches are a common pest that many homeowners across the world have to deal with. In general, cockroaches are small, less than an inch long. These bugs have small heads and a flat body, with long antennas and large eyes. They will vary in color depending on the species, and some have wings and are good at flying, while others have wings but are unable to fly. Cockroaches also have a tough exoskeleton, which protects them from harm.
No matter what the cockroach looks like, they are bad news for any home. This is because cockroaches are dangerous for several different reasons, including the following:
- Spreading diseases such as salmonellosis, typhoid fever, cholera, gastroenteritis, dysentery, listeriosis, giardia, E. coli infection.
- Contaminating food and surfaces with feces, urine, and saliva.
- Causing damage to personal belongings like furniture, clothing, carpets, and other items.
The problems caused by cockroaches are too big of a risk for any Colorado Springs homeowner to ignore. You can be prepared to handle cockroaches by understanding what attracts them, how they get inside, and what to do with an active infection.
How To Make Your Home Less Attractive To Cockroaches
Many factors attract cockroaches to a home. There are specific attractants you can eliminate to make your home less desirable, such as:
- Decluttering: Keeping your home organized and clutter-free helps reduce the possibility that cockroaches can hide unnoticed. This also helps make it easier to clean your house of food debris.
- Addressing Moisture Issues: This should include fixing leaks, removing water-damaged wood, and clearing organic yard debris that holds moisture, such as leaf piles. It is helpful to use dehumidifiers in your home, especially in kitchens and bathrooms where water tends to build up.
- Storing Food Properly: Using airtight containers is the best way to keep dry goods safe from pests. You should keep produce in the refrigerator, but make sure to clean the fridge and cabinets regularly to dispose of spoiled food and debris left behind.
- Storing Trash Properly: Using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids will help to keep pests out. You should also remove waste from your home regularly and make sure it is picked up promptly.
How To Keep Cockroaches From Getting Inside
Another sure way of preventing cockroaches is locating their entry points and removing them. To identify and seal off potential entry points, you should do the following:
- Inspect the foundation and exterior walls of your home for cracks
- Place covers over vents and drains
- Fill in gaps around window and door frames
- Inspect where utility lines enter your home to make there are no spaces where pests can slip through
- Install screens, weather stripping, and door sweeps on exterior doors and windows
How To Eliminate Cockroaches
The last tip we have to offer you is to contact professionals for total cockroach elimination. Colorado Springs residents should give us a call at Beeline Pest Control.
Cockroaches are a challenging pest to get rid of due to their resilience and increasing resistance to conventional pesticides. This is why store-bought pest control products rarely work, only eliminating a few pests and not the entire infestation. To get rid of cockroaches permanently, you need to know how they get in and why they are attracted to your home.
Our pest control experts know how to keep your home cockroach-free for the safety of your family. So, get started with us at Beeline Pest Control with the treatments and services you need to have a cockroach-free home.